Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Body Oil, DIY Lip Balm, DIY Deodorant


Hi My Lovely Natural Sistas and Brothers,

Today I am coming at you with three super simple DIYs that are in heavy rotation in my house. All super simple to make, work the same if not better than shop bought ones, and you are saving yourself so much money :) Plus you will know what goes into your skincare, I always say, check the ingredients! No matter what the front of the package claims, ALWAYS flip the bottle and scan the ingredient list! There were so many times I was greenwashed, when "natural" and "organic" and "award winning" shampoo or face wash contained SLS. Or natural cosmetics had dimethicone and other nasty chemicals in them. It may seem you have to have a chemists degree to decripter the labes these days, but adopt my common sense approach to things - if you don't understand the ingredients, your body won't either. If the label has more than 10 ingredients, put it back and run away from it! When in doubt, you can always double check EWG Skin Deep for doubtful ingredients or products.

Anyways, back to my DIYs!
First one is body oil, the yellow looking one in the top left glass jar. The ingredients are super simple, coconut oil, Weleda body oil and orange essential oil to give amazing fragrance. (Seriously how did I live without it for so long?). Coconut oil is the base of this butter or oil, you can use it on it's own as I did for so many years, but now I started to experiment with it a bit, hence where the Weleda body oil comes in. (basically to make it strech it for as long as possible, because at 20€ a bottle it's not cheap and used on it's own it runs out quite fast, making it an expensive habit) With this method I can make a bottle last for a year or so. Yes, I am cheap, I know. But I like to think I am canny saving money and I prefer to spend my hard earned cash somewhere else. On average, ladies go through 8 bottles of body lotion/butter a year, and it's scary to think how many chemicals they are putting on their bodies not to mention the cost of it all. Switch to this simple DIY and your wallet and your body will thank you. Not only you will save, but you will put only good ingredients on yourself, and your skin will show it very soon, I promise.

Second is the lip butter. 
Again, the ingredients are super simple, coconut oil, beeswax and honey. In the double boiler melt a tablespoon of oil with a teaspoon of grated beeswax, stir until it's melted and quickly take off the heat taking care not to burn yourself. when cooled and begginging to set, stir in half a teaspoon of honey and pour into a little jar, here I am using an old recycled metal tin.

Third is the deodorant, I saved the best for the last - this simple DIY will save your life! That is kinda exaggerating things, but I am sooo soo happy to have found this recipe online a while back. Natural deodorants don't work, full stop! This is one area I struggled the most since going green, because nobody wants to smell, right? And after wasting so much money on natural deodorants that wouldn't do anything I said enough is enough and made this simple concoction and haven't looked back! I used to bike 6km for my morning commute (and the same back) and I didn't smell at all! I gave it for my non-natural friend to try, and sceptical as she was, she confirmed the same, after moving furniture around the house by herself all day she noticed she didn't reek at all at the end of the day! So that only confirmed I am onto a good thing for me :)
Now, I bet you are expecting some complicated procedures and hard to find or unheard of ingredients, right? Wrong! I bet you have all the ingredients in the house already, and the whole process will set you back no more than 2 minutes.
So, grab a spoonful of baking soda (aluminnium free, please) a spoonful of cornflour and just enough of coconut oil to make it into a paste and mix it all together! Simple, I told you so!
Now, I have to mention the original recipe called for arrowroot powder instead of cornflour, so if you happen to have that ingredients, use that instead, it has deodorising properties on it's own, l would love to use it, but haven't located it in Dublin yet. Of course you can add your fave essential oil into it, just to couple of drops, and be mindful that citrus EO's are photosensitive, just telling you.. Also test first for sensitivity to baking soda, as some people cannot use it at all.

Disclaimer - I am not a doctor, nor I am telling you to do the recipes outlined here. I am sharing what works for me, and you can try it or not at your own peril. You can be allergic to any ingredient under the sun, whether natural or not.

FOLLOW ME ON:

BLOGLOVIN
INSTAGRAM
TWITTER

FACEBOOK
YOUTUBE
PINTEREST
& MY NEW BLOG


That is all for now :)
Much love,
Renata.

No comments:

Post a Comment